Requisition No: 361787
Agency: Department of Corrections
Working Title: FDC- SECRETARY SPECIALIST FC - 70044522 - AVON
PARK CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION, AVON PARK, FL
Position Number: 70044522
Salary: $21,532.94 annually
Posting Closing Date: 04/30/2021
- OPEN COMPETITIVE ADVERTISEMENT*
Secretary Specialist FC - 70044522
This advertisement is for a Career Service position located at
Avon Park Correctional Institution in Warden's Office.
Salary Rate: $21,532.94 annually
SALARY WILL BE DETERMINED IN ACCORDANCE WITH CURRENT PAY
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The employee in this position performs specialized clerical work
that requires independent decision making ability as clerical
support to the Warden. Duties may include but will not be limited
- Responsible for preparing and maintaining various documents,
reports, letters, memorandums, forms, including but not limited to
post charts, post orders, emergency plans, Institutional Operating
Procedures, Policy & Procedure Directives, Department of
Corrections Rules, work orders, supply requisitions and purchase
- Utilizes various computer programs and compiles and maintains
data relating to Security Department issues and provides
information to the Warden's Office for monthly/quarterly/yearly
reports or as requested.
- Maintains an accurate filing system of forms and correspondence
utilized in the daily operations of the institution including
incident reports, dormitory logs and dormitory check sheets.
- Assists with the preparation of the Review and Performance
Planning forms as directed.
- Serves as receptionist for the Security Department, greeting
visitors and answering telephones, routing calls to the appropriate
area and answering questions within his/her area of
- Orders and distributes forms and supplies for the Security
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of correct spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic.
- Knowledge of basic filing practices.
- Skills in typing.
- Ability to operate general office equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with others.
- Knowledge of standard business formats and styles for letters
and business forms.
- Knowledge of office procedures.
- Knowledge of the techniques for handling telephone calls in a
courteous and efficient manner.
- Ability to transcribe dictation using notes or a dictating
- Ability to organize files and other records.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetical calculations.
- Ability to use correct spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Ability to type letters, memoranda and other standard business
forms in correct format.
- Ability to handle telephone calls in a courteous and effective
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments.
Please note, when submitting a college/university degree, if
selected for this position official transcripts will be
- High school diploma or its equivalent.
- One year of secretarial/clerical work experience
Support of knowledge, skills, and abilities should be
demonstrated on the application, in the education, in the work
experience, in the work sample, in the interview and/or during
If you are interested in this position and meet the above
indicated qualification and have the desired education, knowledge
and experience, please submit a State of Florida Application and
resume through the People First system. If you experience problems
applying on-line, please call the People First Service Center at
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the closing
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity
Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate
discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by
the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring
authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735).
Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to
allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All
employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in
accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace
VETERANS' PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes,
candidates eligible for Veterans' Preference will receive
preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are
encouraged to apply. Candidates claiming Veterans' Preference must
attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes
character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4)
along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7,
Florida Administrative Code. Veterans' Preference documentation
requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is
due by the close of the vacancy announcement.
Nearest Major Market: Central Florida
Nearest Secondary Market: Sebring